I have a bunch of canvas fabrics that I have been wondering what do do with for ages. I found them again when I was cleaning out my sewing room post-retreat and left them out on the table figuring I'd make a bag or something. on Sunday, I was having some trouble with the thread tension on a baby quilt I was quilting so I set it aside, picked up these fabrics and just started cutting.
The first fabric I used is Itsy Bitsy, by Heather Ross, which you can still find here. The other is a fun records print by Melody Miller called Ruby Star from Spring 2012 for Kokka on an 85/15 cotton linen blend. I have the color ambrosia, which is a lovely sage-mint green. This is a really large scale print with the records measuring almost 7" across. I made three pouches in these fabrics, one large in the records and one medium and one small in the the Itsy Bitsy. I used a heavy weight Pellon fusible interfacing on all of these bags because I like them to have a little more structure and substance and I think they hold up better personally. Overall, the added weight/bulk didn't impact my sewing. They are also all lined with the same grey-brown Moda Grunge as my first pouch; perfect for hiding stains.
The second versions that I made are using a fun black and white forest animal canvas, that I think came from Spoonflower, and Essex Linen for the bottom. I'm pretty sure the color I used is either Graphite or Black. I made two large pouches and two medium pouches in this combination I love on these how the only color comes from the zippers. I switched up the colors using various bright zippers. Aren't they fun?!
My personal favorite is this Bear Boogie in Red by Kokka, a cotton linen blend. I have no idea where I got this fabric but since it's just so darn cute I'm glad it ended up in my stash some how. I only made one large pouch out of this one but would love a little set of them to use. This one isn't completely done yet, I still have to sew the tag to the end of the zipper, but I was so excited to use it that I decided to do that part later.
While cutting/piecing this one I tried to make sure that all of my seams would line up around the bag and was so pleasantly surprised when I flipped in right-side out and saw this perfectly matched seam!
I still have a few more to finish up before these are completely done. And they're so fast and easy I might just cut out a bunch more for gifts and to list for sale sometime. I think a fun modification would be to use laminate fabric for the inside for shower supplies or things that might leak. I'll have to explore that further too.