Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My Center Block {Round Trip Quilts}

Thank goodness for long weekends.  I managed to get so much accomplished!  My husband and I cleaned and organized the house and got rid of a ton of extra stuff (yay for free piles).  I also had time to complete the quilt top for my Orange Peel Quilt Along, which is now over by the way... but at least I'm making progress (more on that later this week), and finish my center block for the Round Trip Quilts round robin quilt bee!  I can't wait to show you!

Fair warning: I'm so excited about this quilt top and there are a lot of pictures to follow.  Here's a peek of the final center!  Keep reading for the whole thing!


We decided to send a notebook with our quilts and when I found this one I knew I'd hit the jackpot.  The aqua color is fantastic and it's got that cute little motto on the front:  Hello Beautiful Day.  I asked that the theme for my quilt be all about New Hampshire and what better way is there to wake up in this beautiful state of ours than with a "hello beautiful day"?  I took breaks through out the piecing to jot down thoughts, ideas, and doodles about what I'd like this quilt to be.  If you want a similar journal, you can find them here.  I already bought the hot pink "Be Awesome Today." and neon yellow "Find Your Happy." journals.  Oops.


First a quick itinerary and my information, in case the notebook gets separated from the quilt.  I've removed my information from the picture for obvious reasons.


Then a brief introduction to what I'd like the quilt to be.  You know those brown and green and tan "Lodge Quilts" that you see in hunting cabins, theme rooms, and lake houses?  I want this quilt to be an updated version of that.  I highly encourage the women working on my quilt to think outside of the box with this one and really be creative!  I also included some quick facts about NH.


Next I added some doodles and drawings of elements I might like to see incorporated into my quilt top.  I hope that the ladies don't feel limited by these suggestions!  This notebook was great for drafting blocks and doodling!  Instead of lines there is a dot grid that makes it easy and simple to draw in.


Next more reasons that I love it here in NH.  Hint: Winter, Snow, and Green Space.


Finally, some quilty type details.  What type of color scheme I'd like (bright and colorful but not ROY G. BIV), the types of fabrics I like, the layout I'm imagining (though I know that the finished product will be a million times better than I can possibly think of!).


And in close, Happy Quilting!  (and some links to my inspiration pages here and here.... speaking of, if you haven't seen the Granite State of Mind parody video- 1. Where have you been? 2. Go watch it now.)


Are you ready to see the finished center?  ME TOO!  Here's my sketch of what I imagined the block looking like.



And here's the block!  I am so happy with how this came out!  I love the scrappy happiness and bright colors and I just can't wait to snuggle up under the finished quilt when I get it back!  Now to get to the post office and get this baby in the mail!



Round Trip Quilts now has a Flickr group and you can follow us on Instagram using #roundtripquilts!  You can also find a summary of all of our posts on my Round Trip Quilts page in the toolbar at the top of the page!


The full list of members is below:

Heather at QA Creations

Leanne at Devoted Quilter

Kim at Ties That Bind Quilting

Liz at Green Cheese Quilting

Mary at See Mary Quilt

Christina at WIPs and Tuts

Jennifer at Never Just Jennifer

Chelsea Huckins at Patch the Giraffe



I'm linking up with this weeks WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.

18 comments:

  1. Hi! Well this post just made my day! I am sitting in my NH house listening to the loons and trying to focus on catching up on blog reading (great summer = bad blogger) when I found this post! Awesome! I had not seen the parody...hysterical! Your quilt is going to be amazing. I can understand the look you are going for. I have a bundle of warm fabrics in colors I usually am not attracted to (think browns and forest greens) but the designs are perfect for NH. One of these days I will make a modern/traditional bed quilt out of it. In the mean time, I am going to be watching how your quilt evolves! I've also re pinned your inspiration boards...thanks!

    PS. I just stopped I to Keepsake Quilting yesterday and they have all the Cotton and Steel line. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start for your quilt -- hope it inspires everyone and love the idea of the journal -- plenty of thoughtful information to help inspire the other participants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your journal. We might do a round robbin quilt at our guild and I was looking some weeks ago about that. Now I have everything I need to start. BTW, your handwriting is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your center is so cool! I love the compass, and I really love all the detail you ladies are putting into the journals! This is going to be so much fun to watch as it progresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project! The center block is terrific, and your notebook provides such a lively sense of who you are and your ideas for the quilt. Have fun with the round robin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is seriously making my heart go pitter-patter. I am in love with the whole thing. Your concept, your journal, your quilt center, and your enthusiasm about NH! I cannot wait to see how this project progresses! Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, awesome! My journal is way less detailed than yours, as you will find out soon! Your center is so great, and I can't wait (even though I'm last) to put my spin on it. In other news, I may need to make a few NY beauty blocks...although these are definitely more like NH beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your center block! The compass idea is very cool, I can't wait to see how all of these quilts progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its gorgeous, Jennifer! Even your notes in the notebook are beautiful! Mine is much more boring looking, since I can't draw worth beans and so never think to doodle anything. I have a pretty good idea what I'm adding as my contribution (hint, it has something to do with me being Canadian), so I'm really excited for it to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE LOVE LOVE your center block! The notebook to go with the quilt is also a great idea. I love all the info you included in it. The other quilters will definitely appreciate it. Great job, can't wait to see it progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your center block and your NH stats! This one will be fun to work on :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So you should be excited about this centre. It is amazing! I absolutely love it!
    (OMG. There is a fabric that has teabags on it! Love that too!)
    I still think that state motto is a bit harsh. Is it aspirational or a command? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look awesome! I can't wait to see what everyone before me does with your center! And your notebook is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your centre. I'm not a paper piecing fan but I do really want to try a NY Beauty because I like them!

    Your handwriting is so nice too! Love your notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jennifer, I noticed that the round robin was paused somewhere and I cannot see a finished picture of the quilt anywhere on your blog. Does this mean you did not get you beauty back at all? That would be very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jennifer! Wow, I'm so impressed about everything! Your center block is amazing and I love the notebook! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  17. I visited the Seacoast Science Center in Rye, NH just yesterday for the first time, depsite living here my whole life. I was very inspired by the display they had on the Odiorne Family's Mariner's Compass Coverlet, that was made in the very late 1700s and continues to be passed down to this day. I did a Google search on modern compass rose quilts in hopes of beginning to design something for myself, and came across your page. And here you are speaking so beautifully about your love of New Hampshire! I can't wait to read through your inspiration links and start designing my own.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!