Friday, February 6, 2015

Currently Nameless | A Finished Mini-Quilt

Every two years my local quilt guild holds a quilt show to exhibit our work and help raise money for our guild sponsored activities.  Our next show is this spring: Saturday, April 18th and Sunday, April 19th.

One of the ways that we help to raise money is by holding a mini-quilt silent auction.  Guild members are asked to donate mini-quilts through out the months leading up to the show and then we hold two separate auctions, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.  Well I've been trying to work up some mini's to donate and had time to finish one up on Monday night.

When I was making my Crown of Thorns blocks this month, I ended up with a bunch of leftover HST and I decided to make up a mini using them.  I laid them out randomly at first and snapped a quick B&W picture to see how the values looked.  I wasn't in love.  But I did notice how strongly those darker values stood out.  I went back to rearranging...

layout option 1

In the end I really liked this layout.  The left side is a little washed out from my lamp in the picture below but you get the point...it's fun right?!  

layout option 2

I had to cut a few more background squares to finish off the design like I pictured it but it was worth the extra effort in the end.


Finished Mini

I tried my hand at match stick quilting in the background using a beige-y colored thread and left the colored areas un-quilted.   I've no idea what the brand is.  I like the texture it gives the quilt and that it really makes the colored squares pop off the wall.  I used scraps from the top to make the binding and thought it would be fun to throw in a few colorful bits.  I didn't space them very well because the purple bit got lost in a corner but I still like the overall effect.

Quilting detail

The mini finished at 17" square and has fast triangle backs for hanging with a dowel.  I absolutely love the mini and brought it with me to work this morning so I could admire it for a few days before it goes off to the mini-quilt donation pile next week.  Now I just need to name it.  Any suggestions?

If you're in the New England area and want a chance at this mini you'll have to come and visit us at the quilt show Saturday, April 18th and Sunday, April 19th in Lebanon, NH!  Who knows?  Maybe I'll try to buy it back for myself!

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday and Crazy Mom Quilts!

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love the layout you ended up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how sweet, I love the layout you went for and with the quilting it looks like you've got moorland with heather and sheep surrounded by ploughed fields so I'd call it The Vale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its fun to see what you come up with using HST's! Very pretty designs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great use of the scraps. When I am stuck on a name, I try to think of emotions. How does this quilt make you feel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to use B&W photos to evaluate the value placement of your HSTs. I really like the layout you used. The mini makes me think of a bird's eye view of a pyramid or of some of the eye tests you take at a yearly optometry check up... so for names... Focus? Top Down? I also really like Carie's suggestion of The Vale - that is a great name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I feel a bit inspired because I have gallon size baggie of HST. I <3 your use of the matchstick quilting to let the bold colors "shine" through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm terrible at naming quilts and always struggle when I have to but here goes how about 24/7. You have 24 coloured triangles and 7 pairs along the main diagonal. The Vale prompted Hills & Dales as well in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great lesson in why value matters! I really like how your quilt turned out. I'm no help for naming quilts. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect application of b/w photography to establish value! This came out great, and I love green and purple together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the layout you chose! It's amazing how such simple triangle shapes could make for such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mini looks great! Nice way to feel cheerful since you guys are being slammed with snow, huh? I miss New Hampshire...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The black/white photo is a great trick - I love how it forces a person to look at the value and not get lost in the colors/prints. This mini is great! I LOVE the use of those low volume prints and the placement of the color. I made a mini a few days ago that is intended as a surprise gift for my sister. I was really tempted to keep it for myself so I know how you feel! :) Good luck on the auction!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved seeing the difference in the two layouts when you used the black/white photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eep -- what a sweet mini and smart use of scraps! I saw your Round Trip Quilt last month at our guild meeting. Your center medallion is lovely, and Chelsea's border was a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great idea to use up those HST. If you don't win the blocks you'll have to start a bidding war for this one. I am going to look at my calendar to see if I am free that weekend. It would be fun to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I should try that black and white photo trick. It has really worked for you!
    I confess I plan to hang on to my mini quilts to donate and hand them over in one batch at the end of the year - lots of admiring time.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!