Friday, April 18, 2014

Machine Quilters Exposition 2014 - Part 2

I've been slowly plugging away at my triangle quilt this week, averaging about one row per night.  I'm on row 9 of 19 at the moment so I am making good progress.  I'm really hoping I can spend a day sewing this weekend and get the whole top pulled together.

I'm also so excited because Jeni Baker from In Color Order, featured my very own yet to be named triangle quilt in her weekly favorites round up!  Ahh! Pinch me!  See there it is in position #3  (Thanks so much Jeni!).  I feel so validated and honored to be included in with these very talented ladies!


As promised, I'm back with Part 2 of our visit to the Machine Quilters Exposition (MQX) this past weekend.

This year was the first time that MQX organizers included a specifically Modern Quilting category.  There weren't many submissions this year, but I'd be willing to bet money on the fact that it's going to grow pretty quickly.

I didn't happen to catch the name of this quilt but I really loved the design and construction of it.  It looks very complicated, but in reality, they are just wonky string blocks, squared up and stitched together.  I really loved how the careful color placement made the blocks look even wonkier than the really are too, even causing some of them to break through the border.  I think this is a method of "modern improv" I could get behind.


And the close up details were fantastic.  Each block was hand quilted along with some detailed machine quilting in the border as well.


Of course I LOVED this Purple and Gold quilt.  If you're wondering why, those are the colors of Saint Michael's College, where I spent four very happy years of my life!  And you know what?  I DO Like Saint Mikes!


I liked the simple pattern of this quilt (in fact, I think I may have picked it up during Vermont Shop Hop weekend).  I also have a nice pile of these same fabrics at home that I've been waiting to cut into.  Originally I was leaning towards some crazy flying geese but I may change my mind now.



This one was called "Cold Front Meets High Pressure".  I think the maker did a wonderful job of causing the two colors to clash into one another.  Very fun and dynamic.  It's also made with mostly batiks, which I think the modern quilting world tends to shy away from as being too traditional or something, opting instead for bright solids and geometric prints.  But I think this is proof that batiks work just as well for our modern quilts.  What are your thoughts on that subject?


There was some beautiful detailed bead work on this one as well.



I'll leave you with this for now.  There are a few other things from MQX that I wanted to share with you as well.  Stay tuned & Happy Quilting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!