Thursday, January 30, 2014

This is my Circus ... a finished quilt



I made this quilt back in 2012 and it was an instant favorite.  Most of these fabrics I had been hording for two plus years when I first began quilting and discovered that YOU COULD BY FABRIC ONLINE!


Who knew?  I didn't at the time.

It was made using a super easy free video pattern by Missouri Star Quilt Co. with 3 Dudes Quilting designed to work with Jelly Rolls or 2.5" strips.  Basically you just sew strips together into sets of 4 strips.  Then cut them into squares.  Take two squares and layer them right sides together and sew all the way around the outside.  Then slice the blocks diagonally from corner to corner in both directions.  So now you have 4 HST pieces.  Press them open and voila!  You have a HST block with half of the strips running one direction and half of the strips running the other direction.

I backed the quilt with a wonderful soft tan linen fabric and quilted it in a mint thread with wavy lines using my walking foot.  I really like how the sort of organic, free form quilting off-sets the other wise angular nature of this quilt.


I'm calling this my Circus quilt, because of the pretty bunting flag and elephants and streamers and flowers that you'd find at a traveling circus.  I kind of like the name.  Let me know if you think of a better one.

I really love this quilt and I'm so happy with how it came out.  So happy that I actually brought it to work with me and now it sits on my desk waiting to be used when the heaters randomly stop working in the middle of winter (it can get pretty chilly in here).  I love that it adds a nice pop of color to our pretty dully decorated work space.



That's all for today.  Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!